Representatives of a range of community groups including the Henderson Hall Committee, Community Council, WI, Film Night, Woodland Group, Gardening Club and the Show Committee came together and joined forces with a breadth of other volunteers to organise a range of community-based events and initiatives in celebration of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. They have been:
Costs are being supported by:
- the National Lottery Community Fund who have awarded a grant
- the Beacons Benefice who have donated £1000 for the benefit of children and young people
- Henderson Hall and Talybont Community Council will meet uncovered costs
- Lord and Lady Large from Cui Parc are donating land on the outskirts of the village for a Jubilee Wood that will be accessible to local people and visitors
- The Woodland Trust have awarded a grant for 195 trees for the Jubilee Wood
In addition to the events, oak trees will be planted in and around Talybont on Usk including one adjacent to a commemorative oak tree planted in Talybont village in 1952 to mark the Queen’s coronation. Additionally, Lord and Lady Large from Cui Parc are donating an area of land for a Jubilee Wood. In November, residents will be invited to join in with the planting of the trees. A commemorative bench has been purchased and a new village sign for Scethrog to mark the jubilee is planned.
We are indebted to the many individuals and groups who made these events possible. You can see photos below.
14 May: BIG BUNTING BASH
Volunteers made an incredible 60 metres of bunting on 14 May!!!
We have also have the most beautiful hand-knitted bunting made by the very talented resident of Talybont on Usk Mrs Jean Lawrence
21 May: BIG PETUNIA GIVEAWAY
To add a floral touch to our jubilee celebrations and to help the local bees, residents of the Talybont on Usk Community Council area collected FREE red, white and blue, petunia plugs for hanging baskets and gardens this summer.
1 June: BIG ABBA SINGALONG
Residents enjoyed free admittance to the feel good launch of the Queen’s Jubilee celebrations with the Film night’s showing of the sing along version of Mamma Mia – the movie.
2 June: CHILDREN’S MAKING DAY
Children living in the area of Pencelli, Scethrog, Talybont on Usk and Llandetty aged 2 to 11 years were invited to free craft sessions at the Hall to decorate the bunting made on 14th May and make crowns, sashes, medals and flags in preparation for the 5th June.
In addition, Jayne Gold of Stomping Space ran free outdoor environmental workshops
5 June: BIG PICNIC IN THE PARK
Activities and entertainment included:
- adults and children’s Bouncy Castles
- Crazy Golf
- Cycling obstacle course and five-a-side football
- children’s races
- a Taiko drumming performance
25 June: BIG MAC’s WHOLLY SOUL BAND
A fabulous evening with Big Mac’s Wholly Soul Band rounded off our summer of events.